"If you let go a little, you will have a little peace. If you let go a lot, you will have a lot of peace." ~Ajahn Chah
Have you ever done a big Spring Cleaning?
Can you remember how light and free you feel after you got rid of all the stuff?
Material things not only take up our physical space, but our emotional and energetic space, too.
And so do emotional baggage!
When we hold on to feelings of regret and shame, anger and resentment in our bodies, we're creating stress for ourselves, and potentially serious health issues, too.
But every moment is a chance to let go of what no longer sever us, and create space for the new to come into our life.
Try this simple exercise
- Close your eyes and sit erect but relaxed;
- Take a few deep breaths all the way to your belly;
- Recall the things, the people, the events, the feelings that you're still holding on to (hint: you know you're still holding on if you still get an icky feeling);
- Now with every exhale, tell yourself, "I let go";
- With every inhale, feel your energy getting brighter and growing bigger;
- Repeat step 4 and 5, for as long as you feel you need it;
- Take a moment to just breath and slowly open your eyes.
To help facilitate your emotional release, try diffusing or apply one of these 3 essential oils on your pulse points and on the heart during the process. They foster the right environment for you to look honestly within.
Create a drawing or a painting expressing this theme. Hang it somewhere. Every time you see it, take three deep breaths, and remind yourself to let go.
I've created a video lesson incorporating the guided meditation and the painting lesson in the Paint Your Heart and Soul 2017 year long art course. Check it out if you're feeling a little creative.
When we let go of anger and resentment, we create space for joy and gratitude.
When we let go of regret and shame, we create space for excitement and grace.
What have you let go? And what are you creating space for?